Thursday, November 18, 2010

'Hydra' Turret

This project is based on the 'Hydra' design of a model from Games Workshop.  I hadn't modeled any mechanical objects with the intention of animating in a while and it also gave me a chance to practice cleaner modeling.  The quad-gun style turret is a design I've always wanted to model out.
























































This is the reference model I used for the turret mounts, though with some tweaks and a different center turret design.





















Here you can see how I built the turret - It is broken down into 4 basic parts that can be moved independently of one another.  The second image shows that after creating the larger pieces of the model, I made a group of detail models from some references of tank hulls I had looked at - I noticed that on military vehicles, there are rarely featureless, flat surfaces, but usually covered in external bolts and equipment mounts.  Much like the corridor project, these were designed to be duplicated multiple times to add detail to the model.



















The detail pieces - With a gun mount before and after adding them on:











Here is a wireframe shaded view:

No comments:

Post a Comment